The human diet includes many products. However, those of vegetable origin are of great value for the organism. Our food should not only be palatable, but also nutritious. In this regard, Food and Nutrition Magazine writes about the most useful vegetables a person should eat every day.
What’s the healthiest way to eat vegetables?
Different experts answer this question in different ways. Some are convinced that the greatest benefit can be obtained only by eating raw foods, and someone argues that boiled vegetables are better absorbed and retain all the useful substances. Where is the truth?
It is obvious that the benefits of vegetables decrease with any heat treatment of vegetables. Vitamin composition is destroyed, and minerals simply change their structure, turning into a form that is not able to enrich the human body. This means that the best way to eat vegetables is raw. You can make an exception for those products that cannot be used raw. The most gentle method of cooking is steaming. In this case, the processing time should not exceed 10-15 minutes. This is the period for which at least some of the nutrients will remain in the vegetable product.
Top 15 Healthy and Nutritious Vegetables
- Carrots are an important source of carotene, the precursor of vitamin A. Crispy carrots also contain other beneficial substances: vitamins B, PP, C, E, K, potassium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, iodine, fluorine. It improves the blood composition, has a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system and intestines, strengthens the nails and hair, nourishes the skin;
- Tomatoes are a fairly common vegetable on the table. And for good reason. This is a very useful product that performs a number of important functions in the human body. So, tomatoes normalize the metabolism, stimulate the kidneys and intestines, reduce the level of harmful cholesterol in the blood. Tomatoes are also useful in diseases of the cardiovascular system and anemia;
- Garlic and its beneficial properties are widely used in traditional medicine. This is a powerful natural broad-spectrum antibiotic, which contains more than 150 useful substances. Garlic has a fortifying, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antimicrobial, antifungal effect on the body. It strengthens the immune system and significantly increases the defenses of the person;
- Onions. All the useful properties of onions are not so easy to list. This vegetable must be in your diet if you want to always have good health and strong immunity. In addition to vitamins and minerals, onions contain in their composition valuable organic acids and essential oils. Onion is an indispensable tool in the fight against flu and cold. In addition, it activates the metabolism, cleanses the blood, helps fight cancer and is a natural aphrodisiac;
- Bulgarian pepper. Few people know but Bulgarian pepper contains much more vitamin C than lemons and black currants. You should know that the highest concentration of ascorbic acid is located at the stem. Bulgarian pepper also contains vitamins of group B, P, PP, potassium, sodium, calcium, iron, phosphorus. Regular consumption of this vegetable helps to cleanse the body, improve the digestive system. It is proven that Bulgarian pepper is effective in the fight against cancer;
- Beets are a source of natural sugar and not only. Sweet root vegetable is rich in vitamins and trace elements, including iodine, magnesium, potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus. Beetroot improves digestion and metabolism, removes toxins from the body, has a beneficial effect on the work of the stomach, liver, cardiovascular system;
- White cabbage. It is difficult to overestimate the beneficial properties of white cabbage. It contains almost all the important vitamins and minerals. Cabbage is also a source of vitamin U, which the human body is not able to produce itself. This substance helps fight cancer and can prevent a number of diseases, including intestinal disorders, gastritis, and stomach ulcers. In addition, cabbage normalizes metabolic processes in the body and has a positive effect on the heart and blood vessels;
- Potatoes are a wholesome and nourishing product from which you can cook a large number of delicious dishes. However, preference should be given to baked potatoes – so they retain the maximum of useful substances. Potatoes contain almost all vital amino acids for humans. This product effectively removes excess fluid from the body, thereby normalizing the work of the kidneys. Potatoes are also useful in problems with the gastrointestinal tract and atherosclerosis;
- Broccoli. Like any other cabbage, broccoli is very useful and deserves special attention. This is a valuable source of B vitamins, which have a positive effect on the work of the digestive system. Scientists suggest that regular consumption of broccoli reduces the risk of cancer. It fights this vegetable with other pathogens, including various infections and viruses;
- Cauliflower. The beneficial properties of cauliflower are truly amazing. This vegetable is able to treat even the neglected forms of gastritis. Cauliflower is also used for the prevention of a number of other diseases. Thus, regular consumption of this vegetable helps to eliminate harmful cholesterol from the body, strengthens the walls of blood vessels, improves the functioning of the digestive system. Such a wide range of beneficial properties is not surprising, because the cauliflower contains vitamins C, B, PP, A, sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron;
- Zucchini. Squids prepare a large number of delicious and very delicious dishes from the zucchini. For example, tasty and nourishing pancakes. In this case, few people think about the beneficial properties of this vegetable. Meanwhile, zucchini is a valuable source of fiber, vitamins C and B, calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus. If you want to protect your body from avitaminosis, be sure to include this product in your diet;
- Eggplant. The closest relative of the zucchini is in no way inferior to its companion in health and nutrition. This vegetable belongs to the category of dietary and contains only 24 calories per 100 grams. In eastern countries, eggplant is considered a longevity vegetable. It has a positive effect on the cardiovascular system, splits cholesterol plaques in the vessels. In addition, eggplant improves liver and kidney function, normalizes metabolism and the functioning of the digestive system;
- Radishes are not as popular as other vegetables but also deserve close attention. This vegetable is extremely useful for the work of the gastrointestinal tract. And the fiber, which is contained in its composition, gently cleanses and nourishes the body. Also, radish is useful in diseases of the cardiovascular system, atherosclerosis, problems with joints;
- Pumpkin is included in the list of the most useful autumn vegetables. Food and Nutrition Magazine recommends eating it for diseases of the cardiovascular system, edema, anemia, obesity. This product is perfectly absorbed by the body and saturates the body with all the necessary vitamins and minerals. Pumpkin is also suitable for the diet, as it is low in calories and improves the bowels;
- Spinach can be called “superfood of modern times”. What does it mean? This means that its composition is very close to the composition of effective drugs. It contains vitamins A, groups B, C, P, PP, E, D, K, as well as important micro and macro elements, including potassium, iron, iodine. Spinach stimulates the pancreas and intestines. It calms the nervous system and activates the brain, improving its cognitive function. Spinach leaves effectively cleanse the body and prevent malignant tumors.
How to choose the best vegetables?
How to determine which vegetables will be most beneficial for the body? It is impossible to specify only one product. All people are different – one vegetable may be the most useful for some people, while it may be contraindicated for others. Therefore, we consider the group of products, their composition, as well as the beneficial properties of vegetables.
When determining which vegetables are best, always consider a few recommendations.
- Give preference to fully ripened vegetables, as soon as their composition becomes full and most nutritious;
- Choose goods of local origin, excluding the likelihood of long-term transportation and the period of ripening in the boxes but not on the branches. Non-transported vegetables are most often not treated with chemicals that ensure their long-term preservation;
- Try to use the products as soon as possible after the purchase – so you will get great benefits;
- Make a small vegetable garden and grow your own products;
- Do not refuse your body if it requires a certain product, it means that you lack these vitamins and minerals at the moment.